Stork & Sprout’s Starter Program allows for new and practiced birth doulas to gain valuable experience with one of the most respected doula teams in the Bay Area.
During this three-month program, participants will improve their knowledge and skills while observing, collaborating, and experiencing the joys of providing birth support to expecting couples.
The program requires a commitment of 10-15 hours a month, in addition to being on call to observe and attend clients in labor.
Applications are being accepted on a continuous basis for the Starter Program. Completed application can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to Stork & Sprout, P.O. Box 1657, Burlingame, CA 94011
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attendance at discussion meetings. These meetings are mini-workshops where advanced doula support topics are covered. Examples of information covered include communication with clients, hospital staff and fellow doulas, optimizing prenatal visits; labor support techniques; and specific scenario discussions and birth debriefings.
- Attendance at ~3 prenatal and postpartum visits per month in a shadowing capacity; assisting in client education and care at these visits.
- Participating in Stork & Sprout’s on-call rotation to attend births with clients utilizing our services.
- Current or in-progress doula certification.
- Experience and familiarity with Childbirth, Sexuality and Reproductive Health Issues.
- Ability to relate in a non-judgmental, supportive basis to individuals with a wide range of needs and problems; ability to provide responsible information and support.
- Emotional maturity, sense of humor, and the ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Sensitivity to the needs of and difficulties faced by women and their families during both the prenatal and postpartum period.
- Able to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to respond to pregnant clients on-call 24/7 during scheduled on-call shifts.
- Reliable mode of transportation within a 30-mile radius of San Mateo, CA
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and social media resources (Facebook, WordPress)